There’s a lot that goes into writing a story that never makes it onto the pages. As we continue to shine the spotlight on Destiny’s Dark Light from our Enchanted series, Sara Dobie Bauer gives us a behind the scenes look at the story.
Five Quirky Facts About “Destiny’s Dark Light”
By Sara Dobie Bauer
1. I lived in Charleston, South Carolina, the setting for this story, and had my first raw oyster at Pearlz on East Bay. They covered the thing in pepper-flavored vodka and cocktail sauce, and I slurped it right down. Soon after, I became pretty much addicted to oysters. I’m now a certified raw oyster snob, which is why I had to include a scene in which Cyan goes to Pearlz and eats a dozen of the slippery things.
2. Liam says that Cyan’s lips taste like “orange blossom honey,” a flavor he first discovered in Carmel, California. I first had orange blossom honey in Arizona (although I’ve been to Carmel, too). It’s like eating a really sweet dreamcicle. I would suggest buying some as soon as you can.
3. Cyan’s super-magic protective amulet she wears is made of black agate. Spiritualists believe black agate is protective and calming. It especially keeps peace in stressful households. I chose this stone because of its protective qualities, but looking at Cyan’s crazy family, maybe I subconsciously picked it to keep the peace, as well. Its efficacy in that department is up for debate.
4. I’m completely obsessed with Angelina Jolie’s look in Gone in Sixty Seconds, which is why I based Cyan’s aesthetic on Sara “Sway” Wayland. From the skintight leather to that amazing hair, I imagine Cyan could hotwire a few fancy cars. I personally have a love for that crazy, dirty, almost dreadlocked hair—which is why I keep my locks filthy while at the beach. I like to pretend I’m a badass. TMI?
5. I told one of my first readers that the song I wanted playing during Liam and Cyan’s sex scene was The Civil War’s cover of “Disarm” by The Smashing Pumpkins, and she started crying. In the midst of her meltdown, she made me swear that I wouldn’t kill Liam, but I made no promises …
Sara Dobie Bauer is a bestselling, award-winning author, model, and mental health advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. Her short story, “Don’t Ball the Boss,” inspired by her shameless crush on Benedict Cumberbatch, was nominated for the Pushcart Prize. She lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she’d really like to live in a Tim Burton film. She is author of the paranormal rom-com Bite Somebody series from World Weaver Press, among other ridiculously entertaining things. Learn more at http://SaraDobieBauer.com.
Read Destiny’s Dark Light Today!